I just spent a great and whirlwind of a weekend in The Dalles (TD), Oregon with my roommate Polly in her hometown, celebrating the annual cherry festival. Here is the timeline of shenanigans that occurred:
- 5:30 am: Leave Seattle. Make a 10-cup pot of coffee for the road. Uh oh.
- 10 am: Arrive in downtown of The Dalles, OR.
- 10:30 am: Find Polly’s parents and watch the Cherry Festival Parade.
- 11:30 am: Walk the vendors. Try some Shari’s cherry pie and maraschino cherries.
- 12:30 pm: Meet up with other roommate, Mikayla and her boyfriend Nate from Portland.
- 1:00 pm: Polly and I get lunch at a Mexican restaurant in town.
- 2:00 pm: Drive to Polly’s house and cherry farm. Walk the grounds, see their pigeon coupe and bees boxes.
- 4:00 pm: Drive across the river back into Washington to do a wine tasting at Maryhill Winery. Polly and I split the classic and vintage wine tasting to get to try them all. All were very good. Bought the Grenache off the reserve list ($$).
- 5:00 pm: Sit outside a the winery’s deck in the 70 degree sunshine taking in the beautiful views.
- 5:30 pm: Drive through Polly’s friend Carolina’s petting zoo farm and see some exotic animals.
- 6:00 pm: Finally kick up our feet for a bit, instantly falling for the HBO hit show Girls. Must get.
- 7:00 pm: Go out to dinner at Clock Tower Ales in the city with Polly’s parents. Split a beer sampler with her dad and noshed on a good caesar and awesome sweet potato fries.
- 9:00 pm: Say goodnight to the parents. Listen to a few songs by Tango Alpha Tango band from Portland playing at the alehouse that night. Really liked their sound!!
- 10:00 pm: Walk through town to another tap house to meet up with a few of Polly’s high school and college friends in town.
- Midnight: Finally get to crawl in bed exhausted.
- 8:30 am: Wake up to go to a Catholic mass with Polly’s family. Interesting.
- 10:30 am: Skip out after Communion to have a brunch back at the house with Polly’s sister and kids. Breakfast quiche, a banana jello, fresh oranges, and mini muffins with homemade cherry marmalade to eat.
- 11:00 am: Hop in the car for the four hour drive back to Seattle.
- 12:30 pm: Stop in Portland to pick up a Voodoo dozen of donuts from the legendary Voodoo donuts.
- 4:00 pm: Get back to Seattle.
- 5:00 pm: Guests arrive for Mad Men dinner. Asian themed night with an Asian-inspired chicken thighs with glaze, spicy broccoli and shitake mushrooms, fried rice, Tsingtao beer and sake.
- 6:30 pm: Sit down to episodes 3 and 4 of Mad Men. Dig into the assortment of Voodoo doughnuts with glasses of milk for dessert. Demolished and enjoyed by all.
- 8:30 pm: Guests leave.
- 9:30 pm: Polly and Bryan decide they are too tired to go to Smash Putt 😦 I didn’t attest.
Good weekend. Need sleep!